Mechanic Lien, Materialman Lien, Supplier’s Lien

Posted on December 21, 2010


A mechanics lien, sometimes called a construction lien, or materialman’s lien, or supplier’s lien, is a an interest in the title to property benefiting those who have done work on the property, such as contractors or carpenters.

The way to foreclose on a mechanics lien is through a Superior Court lawsuit. It cannot be enforced in arbitration or in Small Claims Court. An unlicensed contractor cannot collect money due.

The Mechanic’s Lien holder must file a suit and receive a court order allowing him foreclosure on the property. Fortunately for homeowners it takes a great deal of time and money for a supplier or contractor to enforce the Mechanic’s lien.

For foreclosure, real estate and elder law legal help, call Christine Axsmith at Axsmith Law.