Medicaid and the Spouse

Posted on December 27, 2010


Medicaid elderly in institutions have a tough road to hoe. To qualify for Medicaid if you are going to live in a nursing home, you can only keep about four thousand dollars in savings, and about fifty dollars a month income.

In order to get Medicaid to pay for nursing home care, you must prove your need for the placement, meeting federal and state guidelines.

If you are in a nursing home, and your wife is living in her own home, she is considered a “recipient spouse” under Medicaid law.

Thanks to the Spousal Impoverishment Law (Division of Assets) the spouse of an institutionalized elder to keep some of their assets.

It helps to transfer properties from the institutionalized spouse to the one living outside, so as to not have it count against getting Medicaid as extra income.

Some of the “exempt resources” the able-bodied spouse can keep are the home, personal possessions, one car, one cemetery plot and funeral expenses.

Posted in: Attorney